Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Visual Maps & my post as an artifact on the Web

Hi Juls!
I like that music map site. I think I've been to it before. There is something so nice about finding the connections between things. That is what I think of when I see visual maps like this...like a map of Delta flights...I like to connect the dots in my mind. So my next thought I have about mapping are two amazing web projects that my sister sent me about emotions and human desire...We Feel Fine and Lovelines...the artistic collaborations of Jonathan Harris and Sep Kamvar.

What to make of this information they have gathered. Perhaps it is just about the observation; How we are connected and how we are human. Jonathan Harris' artists statement says "his work involves the exploration of humans through the artifacts they leave behind on the Web."

I have often had a love/hate (I wonder if this will be picked up on the loveline site) relationship with the internet and technology (I realize they are at the same time two hugely different concepts I lump together and speak about interchangeably.) I think about the pervasiveness of technology and try to think critically about its effect on our "humanness" asking questions such as: How do we use it? How will we use it? What does it do for us? What does it make us do? Not do? How does it influence us in proportion to how do we influence it? The part that makes me think, is how the internet makes virtual interaction a part of human interaction and the paradigm shift that is/will take place. To what that effect is on society and to what extent will be our dependence on technology is up for discussion...what do you think of this? do these questions interest you?
I also have many critical thoughts on blogging and voyeurism and the "bare all" syndrome as I finish this post! I participate in order to learn.

jax
LISTENING TO: death cab for cutie. Their latest album Plans is one of those albums I can listen to from beginning to end...it flows. I'm drawn to the piano parts in these songs.

3 comments:

100percentjulie said...

loved the sites that u put on ur post. checked them out and i like them a lot. there's a similar one that links everyone but definitely not as deep emotionally.
http://www.popularfront.com/snowdays/
also fun but obivously not the same theme.
either way, i think about internet sometimes and our overuse of it as well. sort of, in a diff scale, our cell phones. some people cannot bear to shut those things off. some should just have it installed in their brains already... i think technology's always good but u have to measure how much u want to use it.

100percentjulie said...

about toy art - there's a great store KIDROBOT that's worth looking at. i guess toy art is usually small and yea, basically, blurs the lines between toy and art. hard to explain... maybe i can find a manifesto-like definition. i'll keep looking. check out kidrobot (in NYC, san francisco, LA or miami. NY one at 126 Prince Street) VERY WORTH IT

JAX said...

I know KIDROBOT. Ah, I get toy art now. I just didn't realize it when you wrote it. Though, I would still like to find some "official" description of toy art. I'll try to look it up. I think of Yoshimoto Nara too.