Monday, February 18, 2008

5 Things I Wanna Share

1.
I like those F. Santos' sketches! Something struck me about the last image...what's the little toy in the picture? so cute!


2.
I get updates from Gregory Euclide. He has new stuff up but I don't like it as much as his older stuff. I think I've shared his work with you before...I love this.


3.
I've seen some good movies lately. Two I recommend that are really imaginative, weird and kind of trippy... Across the Universe...musical set to Beatles Songs, and then last night I saw Fur, an imaginary portrait of Diane Arbus. I'm not sure I liked Nicole Kidman playing Arbus, but I really enjoyed the story nonetheless. Interesting premise to completely make up a story of a portrait of an artist as she is discovering her art. Very psychological. I never understood what made Arbus' photos great. I think knowing where she came from and the context in which she did her work gives me a much greater appreciation for it. Click on the photo for more of Arbus' photography.

The twins remind me of the scene in the Shining, which I'm sure is a reference to Arbus.

4.
I ordered this catalog of Simon Evans' mix media work from Family, a cool bookstore/gallery in LA that sells artist books, and it came today! Actually, I discovered his work when I visited you in Brazil. He was at the Sao Paulo Biennial and I found him so humorous and clever. He uses office supplies - pencil shavings, scotch tape, pen, highlighter...and his tape is dirty...I remember thinking it was nice to see art that wasn't a perfect clean drawing on a pristine piece of paper. His work actually got me thinking about the things that limit an artist, the things that limit me...There is something to say about working within the confines of your environment and accepting where you are...you might have to give up the idea that you will create magnificent work if only you had a bigger, better, cleaner studio space. I thought about fingerprints on tape, dog hair in paint, dust...how much does good craft figure into the visual value of art?


5.
I finally started drawing...I was trying to practice drawing faces and had Brad and my neighbor, Harumi, sit for me...work in progress...


I'm tired now. I hope this finds you well rested. I start yoga training Thursday!
Jax

1 comment:

100percentjulie said...

jackie - o! i can't believe it. i just loooove simon evans! he's definitely on my top of the list. and diane arbus, of course... i saw an exhibition in barcelona, i think it was the "revelations" one. wow... i will rent ur movie suggestions. exciting! (i have netflix now which just makes movie renting so much easier. in brasil it's netmovies)